(FSSAI) Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has reviled The Eat Right Movement’ with a view to get industry on board for implementation of draft food labeling regulation.
Eat Right Movement:
- The movement aims to reduce salt, sugar and oil consumption up to 30% in coming three years.
- It is constructed on two wide pillars of ‘Eat Healthy’ and ‘Eat Safe’.
- It also aims to engage and sanction citizens to improve their health and well-being by making the right food choices.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has been established under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 which agglomrates various acts & orders that have hitherto handled food related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
- It was created for laying down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India is the Administrative Ministry for the implementation of FSSAI.
- Composition: The Chairman and (CEO) Chief Executive Officer of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) are appointed by Government of India. The Chairperson is in the rank of Secretary to Government of India.